Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Alaska

I think I could be very happy in Alaska. There's a simplicity there that's tempered by the harshness of the climate and the land. A harsh beauty, if you will.

I caught the White Pass and Yukon Railroad at the end of the line in a place seen by few people I know. Tormented Valley, they call it. Depending upon the season, the winds there reach 100 mph and the temperature drops to -65. But it is stunning in its beauty. 

I have a friend, a sometimes very strange friend, who has a piece of property in Alaska and lives there part-time. He's got that same harsh beauty. There's a savage grace to him at times, and at times a quiet sadness, probably due in part to things he's experienced and things he's been a part of that he probably wishes he hadn't.

I could be very happy in Alaska....

2 comments:

  1. sounds peaceful and harsh at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Amazingly beautiful and peaceful and gorgeous. And harsh and deadly and unforgiving. An incredible balance.

    ReplyDelete