Friday, October 1, 2010

October 2, 2010

In addition to all the things mentioned yesterday, apparently October is the time when men I barely know and may never have met in person profess their love for me over the internet. Three different ones today. You know who you are.

I mention this not to call them out for being overly October-motional, but because I feel the same way. I love everyone just a little more in October. And I especially love people who share my love of October.

Anyway.

I spent a lot of time looking at hotels and national parks lodges today. I guess most people like to travel in the summer. Something about "nice weather". I prefer the fall.

I've been to Minneapolis a couple times in the fall. Gorgeous. The original October Thoughts were born in Wisconsin on what I would call the ultimate road trip. Last fall, I went to Alaska. I look forward to a time in my life when I can take the entire month of October off to travel and write.

Until then, I'm content to settle for a weekend of traveling in October every few years.

For those of you who don't know, this is my last semester of college. I will graduate (officially) in December is a BS in Arts & Letters and Social Science with a minor in Film. I'm at 15 credits this term, most of them crammed into October. I'm in class five days a week. Last semester, I struggled to make it to campus one day a week so this is going to be an uphill battle.

But, somehow, I've managed to clear a weekend to go somewhere. The current plan is Seattle but it seems to be changing minute by minute so suggestions are welcome.

One of the places I'm looking at staying is the Arctic Club. I guess, as I look at my memories and my history through the lense of October, I want to spend a little time with someone else's history. Might want to hit the Klondike Gold Rush Museum while I'm there, too. I'll post pictures if it all comes together.

I'm rambling here.

I think my point is this: how I view October now is formed by my past experiences of October. What do you remember from years past that sets October apart from the other eleven months?


2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm...so many beautiful October places to visit, some October you'll have to trek to the Colorado Rockies!

    October is also our wedding anniversary, this year will be #12! Since we share the date with Halloween we've started a tradition of taking the kids for fondue at The Melting Pot in their costumes--a treat we can ALL appreciate and their costumes have won us gift certificates 2 years running now--$75 so far! Keeps us coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Greg! What will the costumes be this year?

    ReplyDelete