Sunday, October 24, 2010

October 24, 2010

We're a week out from All Hallow's Eve.

I spent most of today in a Celtic Myths class. Lots of talk of ancient warriors, of ghosts, of druids. Lots of talk about how one culture borrows from another to make itself more palatable. The Christians borrowed from the Pagans and the Celts and the Druids. Now the Pagans and the Celts and the Druids borrow from the Christians. It's all very confusing.

What's not confusing is that there's a little darkness to it all.

Joe sent me an email today with the lyrics to a song one of his bands did yeeeears ago. It was based on the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but seems appropriate here. Thanks, Joe.

Hallows Eve 
Advisary 1990

The black vail of night surrounds you its a quest to survive
Something wicked this way comes to deprive you of life
His evil presents, a cry in the night
The dreaded omen of doom
Running through your imagination and from the truth
Your heart is pounding, there's a chill in the air
Don't get excited
His pounding hooves, enticing your despair
Better get ready, he's commin

I can hear their voices call to me from so deep in the wood
I can hear there cries o how they howl
I can feel there screams of pain
I know they'd run if they could
But there is no place that I don't prowl
Timeless voices, familiar screams
Their blood on my hands
Can't get away on hallows eve
There's no escape from the damned

Shadows creeping deep into my soul
From this chaos of death
Stealing life and light from all I see
Smell of death the taste of fear
The things that should not be
No morbid glare at the defeated souls
Passing judgment, over me

The dark shroud of night engulfs you
Take your final breath
Its a whisper ridding on the breeze
The fridged whisper of death
The bridges boundaries are all that save you
Make a run for it all
Fragmentation of his face in the morning
To the ground they fall

No comments:

Post a Comment