Sunday, October 3, 2010

October 3, 2010

October is the time of the harvest.

Nowhere is this more evident than at the local farmers' market. I was lucky enough to have a little time today to spend at the PSU farmers' market. Tomatoes in dozens of hues, carrots the size of my arm and the first pumpkins of the season were displayed alongside every type of potato and onion you can imagine. And mushrooms! Mushrooms in shapes I've never seen.

Years ago, I worked at a hotel that, among other things, was home to a vineyard and winery. With the fall harvest comes the fall crush. This, I imagine, is how it has been all over the world for thousands of years. Fall lends itself to a hearty bottle of wine and an even heartier meal. Something with meat and potatoes. Something slow-cooked all day. Something with maybe a little rosemary in it.

Happily, this also helps us build up what I will politely call our "winter coat" for when it gets cold. Man, I feel sorry for the skinny people sometimes. They must get so cold in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment