Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October 14, 2009

The wind came back today.

Living where I do, in lovely Portland, Oregon, at the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge, I've come to expect these winds. They are October winds.

They come in from the East. Some years, they are the warm winds that remind you that summer was here not long ago. Others, like this year, the winds bring the first chilled notes of winter. The local news just had pictures of snowfall just a half hour east of here. They're saying that in some areas, this it the earliest snowfall in recorded history.

We're in for a long winter, I believe. 

Where did we put that hot cider?

The wind signals change: the change of seasons, the change of wardrobe. For me, the wind brings a little introspection. I look back over my year and wonder where the time went. I started January with that stupid back injury, spent the spring in the John Wilson Room at the Multnomah County Library (a truly magical place) and learned to knit over the summer. As summer turned to fall, I learned to love Alaska while drinking champagne and eating my weight in chocolate ice cream.

And now the winds are here. And I'm trying not to look ahead to Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment