Sunday, October 18, 2009

October 19, 2009

Let me preface this by saying I'm watching a very bad movie on the SciFi (or ScyFy as I think they're calling themselves now) channel. It has Jeremy London in it so I didn't have terribly high expectations.

I'm really only watching it because I've been fascinated by the resurgence the werewolf has made over the last year. This last year that has seemingly revolved around vampires with the fourth book in the Twilight series being released last August, the first Twilight movie last November, True Blood on HBO and The Vampire Diaries on the CW,  and the upcoming second Twilight movie and The Vampire's Assistant hitting theaters soon. 

But where vampires go, werewolves soon follow. Watch for it over the next year or two. I predict a dramatic shift from vampire to werewolf. 

Werewolves seem to be, like vampires, a worldwide phenomenon. They appear in the writings of Ovid, Virgil and in ancient Greek mythology. They appear across Europe, from Denmark to Serbia and back to Wales and Ireland. They're in Haitian folklore and Native American oral tradition. You'd be hard pressed to find a place on earth that does not have some legend or story that references a werewolf by some name or other. 

Have I ever seen one? Sure. I saw one just the other day. He was drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment