Thursday, October 1, 2009

October 2, 2009

Sometimes, it takes me a few days, maybe as long as a week, to really launch fully into October. Not this year.

The pumpkin spice lattes have been calling to me for weeks. The Concrete Blonde cd went into the player this afternoon. Chrissy gave me a fantastic pumpkin candle yesterday that I'm enjoying right now. Chef offered to make pumpkin soup for me if I peel the pumpkin. I say that's a pretty fair deal.

One of my ten bosses has a jar of candy corn on her desk. Rather, it's on a bookcase across the room from her desk, out of convenient reach. But I can see it from my desk. This presents a problem.

I heart candy corn. And it's so early in the month. But I'm not the only one. My buddy Brad, currently halfway around the world, had his first bit of candy corn for the year yesterday (or is it today? maybe it was two days ago?) I get that time change all sorts of mixed up.

No matter the time, the candy corn is out there waiting for us. Wikipedia tells me that Candy Corn Day is October 30 so we're a tad early in our Ode to the Corn.

And, so you know, Eileen told me years ago that candy corn in Hindi is "Mit-ay Muck-ay." The spelling is most likely totally screwy, so forgive me if you're fluent, but this is the literal translation. I'm not sure how many parts of the Hindi world celebrate the changing of the seasons with candy corn, but there you go.

Candy corn is the sweetness of Halloween candy and the colors of the season: the orange of the glowing jack'o'lantern, the yellow of the autumn leaves, the white of the first frost as we head toward winter. It might be the perfect October candy.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment