Sunday, October 4, 2009

October 5, 2009

Lots of apples this weekend. Bridget and I went to Bauman Farms Saturday for the giant pumpkin drop (the video is posted on my Facebook page if you want to see it) and, while I'm all about the pumpkins this week, they seemed to be more about apples.

There was apple cider. There were apple cider donuts and apple bread. There were a dozen or more different types of apples.

I love apples. This is the time when they're at their best. We've gotten used to a world where produce is no longer seasonal. Watermelon in January is not uncommon. Does anyone remember getting oranges in their Christmas stocking and thinking it was a great treat? And yes, we can have apples year 'round.

But they're best now. The leaves are starting to turn, we're not quite to the first frost, and they're perfect.

I've been looking for my mom's German Apple Cake recipe but I can't seem to find it. I think I might also try my hand at canning apple butter, but I'll need a few more apples than I currently have. Anyone fancy a field trip to Hood River next weekend?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment