Saturday, October 3, 2009

October 4, 2009

I'm watching Harry Potter. I know this comes as a shock to some of you. 

I just finished the first one and am about 45 minutes into the second one. This is about when the spiders appear.

I bought a spider ring for my mom at Walgreens today. It's not the traditional black plastic spider ring that we've been cutting apart and gluing to our faces with eyelash glue yearly since the late '70s (take THAT, Martha) but instead is a lovely creature made of tiny spring legs that wibble-wobble when you move your hand. It's even got glitter. 

Spiders are October creatures. As the leaves begin to fall, they seem to multiply. I doubt there are more spiders now than there were weeks ago, it's just that we can see them more clearly. Even their webs are more visible in the morning dew, crystallized in elaborate, elegant exquisite patterns. 

Spiders are also the world's greatest spinners and weavers. I've tried a bit of spinning myself and really have only come up with a bit of a mess, a collection of spindles and a bit of brightly colored wool. Weaving will have to wait until after I'm done with school.

Until then, I'm content to let the spiders weave and admire their craft.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment